Pitta Reducing Meditation
Pitta dosha is composed of the elements water and fire. When it is in excess it can create ‘fiery emotions’ such as anger, criticsm, irritiablity, judgement and a desire to control. This meditation sequence can be used by anyone who wants to cool down the mind and the body.
The word Sheetali (श◌ीतली) means “the one that can cool you down”.
Step by step
- Sit in any comfortable cross legged sitting posture with the spine upright, arms and shoulders relaxed.
- For the next few breaths, observe the flow of breath at the tip of the nose. This helps bring in a feeling of being centered and inward focused.
- Bring the tongue all the way out and roll it in the shape of a tube. Some people have problem creating this tube with their tongue. In that case, simply rest the tongue lightly between the teeth.
- Take a deep, long inhalation through the tube in the tongue.
- At the end of inhalation, lower the chin to the chest in Jalandhara Bandha and hold the breath for 6 to 8 seconds. Make sure that you retain the breath only as long as it does not impact the quality and depth of the following exhalation.
- When you are ready to exhale, lift the chin up, close the right nostril with the right thumb. Using Ujjayi breath, exhale slowly through the left nostril. This completes one round.
- Repeat for five deep breaths.
- At the end, bring the breathing back to normal and relax
Chant Vam, the mantra for swadhistana chakra, for 5-10 minutes